Cycling to work has a wide array of benefits for the employee, the employer and for the environment. Most employees spend the majority of their work days sat at a desk, with activity levels declining across the entire population in the UK. Because inactivity is one of the leading causes of cardiovascular disease nowadays, cycling to work has significant positive effects on your health.
A recent study by the University of Glasgow, which followed more than a quarter million people for five years, has shown that cycling to work was associated with a 41% lower risk of dying, compared to commuting by car or public transport. Commuting by cycle also resulted in a 52% lower risk of dying from heart disease and a 40% lower risk of dying from cancer. The risk of developing heart disease was decreased by 46% whilst the risk of developing cancer was decreased by 45%.
Not only does cycling lower the risk of dying, cardiovascular disease and cancer, but according to Cycling UK, people who cycle regularly in mid-adulthood usually have a fitness level of someone who is 10 years younger and a life expectancy that is 2 years longer than the average.
Despite these considerable health benefits, only 3% of commuters cycle to work in the UK.
As an employer, you also benefit from the better physical fitness employees enjoy who cycle to work. Cycling UK confirms that regular cycle commuters take more than one day per year less off sick than workers who commute by other means. This saves UK businesses around £83m per year.
We have created an engaging infographic on the benefits of cycling to work which you are free to share online or with colleagues and friends. You can find it at the bottom of this post.
You may be wondering how you can encourage your employees to take up cycling to work. We have compiled some ideas for you:
- Make the most of Cycle to Work Day. Encourage your employees to cycle to work that day, maybe even providing incentives for them to do this such as a breakfast when arriving at work.
- Offer your employees a way to save money when buying a bike for their daily commute by participating in a cycle to work scheme.
- Provide cyclist friendly facilities, including bike storage. We recommend the use of bike shelters or compounds which help protect bikes from rain and snow. Secure compounds also restrict access to the bike storage facility, preventing theft of expensive bikes.
At CSI Products, we offer a wide range of bike storage for premises where indoor space is limited, including:
- Bike stands and racks
- Bike shelters which provide protection from the elements
- Bike compounds which protect from the elements and provide secure storage for valuable bikes
By providing dedicated bike storage options, you can encourage your employees to commute to work by bike.
If you would like to speak to one of our experienced and friendly product advisors about your options, please get in touch with our sales team on 08082392443.